Our month-by-month kids’ events calendar for families will help you make the most of every month. It highlights the annual recurrent kids’ events and activities in and around Luxembourg.
Candlemas dates back to the Roman Empire when altar candles were burnt to chase away the bad spirits and protects homes and fields. In Lux this day is known as Liichtmessdag and children go from house to house carrying the paper lanterns which they made themselves begging for lard and peas (as the song which they sing says) but actually wishing well and asking for candies.
In France February 2 is celebrated as the Day of the Crêpe/Pancake Day/la Chandeleur. On this day households all over France make crêpes. This is because it is believed that crêpes symbolize prosperity.
Carnival or Fuesend is celebrated big time in Luxembourg. It’s time to dress up, party and have candy. It starts on Candlemas day goes on until Bretzelsonndeg (Pretzel Sunday), the 4th Sunday of Lent (22 March 2020). During that period a lot of Carnival events and parades takes place – so watch out this space for all details!
Find all Carnival Holiday Camps here!
6500m² indoor soft play area for young and older kids. Restaurant available on the premises as well!
Where: Parc des Expositions de Metz Métropole, rue de la Grange aux bois, 57072 Metz Cedex 03
When: 19-28 February 2020: 10:00-18:00h
Age: 2-12 years
Cost: 0-3 yo – free; 3-18 yo – 8.50 EUR; adults – 6.50 EUR
A straw “guy” (“Stréimännchen“) is paraded in the streets. On the Moselle bridge the it is thrown into the river. It signifies the end of the Moselle Carnival.
The festival celebrates the diversity of cultures in Luxembourg. You will find lots of information stands, live musical performance, film projections and entertainment for the kids – see the complete program on the website
Where: Halls 2 & 3 at Luxexpo
When: 28, 39 Feb, 1 March: Fri – from 18h; Sat&Sun: from 12:00h
Age: all ages
And here are some places, close to Luxembourg, where you can go skiing even with little ones.
– Snowhall-Amneville: indoor ski slopes, ski/sledding rental equipment available even for little ones (the smallest ski boot size is 26). There is even an indoor café/bar from which ski slopes are visible!
– Erbeskopf: ski slope, around 91 km from Luxembourg city; ski/sledding rental equipment available as well
– Les Vosges, France: around 2h30 from Luxembourg. Check the link for details of the different ski areas available. And here check the snow report.
For more options check out the City Savvy Skiing Guide!
– around 64 km from Luxembourg city (Metz, France): Crafts Expo and Chocolate Salon, 6-9 February 2020
– around 217 km from Luxembourg city (avenue du Port, 86, 1000 Brussels, Belgium): Chocolate Fair – 14-16 Feb 2020;
– around 83 km from Luxembourg city (An der Saarlandhalle 1, 66113 Saarbrücken (Germany)): BEAT IT! – The Show about the King of Pop – 5 Feb – 19h;