Our month-by-month kids’ events calendar for families will help you make the most of every month. It highlights the annual recurrent kids’ events and activities in and around Luxembourg.
Liichtmëssdag (2 February) – Candlemas Day/Pancake Day/la Chandeleur
Candlemas dates back to the Roman Empire when altar candles were burnt to chase away the bad spirits and protects homes and fields. In Lux this day is known as Liichtmessdag and children go from house to house carrying the paper lanterns which they made themselves begging for lard and peas (as the song which they sing says) but actually wishing well and asking for candies.
In France February 2 is celebrated as the Day of the Crêpe/Pancake Day/la Chandeleur. On this day households all over France make crêpes. This is because it is believed that crêpes symbolize prosperity.
Carnival (2 February – 31 March 2019)
Carnival or Fuesend is celebrated big time in Luxembourg. It’s time to dress up, party and have candy. It starts on Candlemas day goes on until Bretzelsonndeg (Pretzel Sunday), the 4th Sunday of Lent (31 March 2019). During that period a lot of Carnival events and parades takes place – so watch out this space for all details!
Carnival Holiday Camps (16 – 24 February 2019)
Find all Carnival Holiday Camps here!
6500m² indoor soft play area for young and older kids. Restaurant available on the premises as well!
Where: Parc des Expositions de Metz Métropole, rue de la Grange aux bois, 57072 Metz Cedex 03
When: 13-22 February 2019: 10:00-18:00h
Age: 2-12 years
Cost: 0-3 yo – free; 3-18 yo – 8.50 EUR; adults – 6.50 EUR
Skiing/Sledding Options For Kids
And here are some places, close to Luxembourg, where you can go skiing even with little ones.
– Snowhall-Amneville: indoor ski slopes, ski/sledding rental equipment available even for little ones (the smallest ski boot size is 26). There is even an indoor café/bar from which ski slopes are visible!
– Erbeskopf: ski slope, around 91 km from Luxembourg city; ski/sledding rental equipment available as well
– Les Vosges, France: around 2h30 from Luxembourg. Check the link for details of the different ski areas available. And here check the snow report.
For more options check out the City Savvy Skiing Guide!
Events Outside Luxembourg
– around 64 km from Luxembourg city (Metz, France): Crafts Expo and Chocolate Salon, 28 February – 3 March 2019
– around 217 km from Luxembourg city (avenue du Port, 86, 1000 Brussels, Belgium): Chocolate Fair – 22-24 Feb 2019;
– around 49 km from Luxembourg city (Fort-Worth-Platz 1, 54292 Trier, Germany): BEAT IT! – The Show about the King of Pop – 9 Feb – 19h;